Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Signifigance in Goodnight

Before I get started, you need some background as to why this post is talking about the significance of goodnight. So I am going to tell you a story from my childhood. 

When I was little going to bed was the worst thing ever. It meant darkness, having to be quiet and still, monsters, and not having anyway to protect myself is something went wrong. But eventually hugging my mom after she got back from work late and having my dad tuck me in was ok. I looked forward to hearing the door open knowing mom was home, and my dad always tucked me in and even said some corny little sayings to make me laugh and not be sad. If you've ever seen Finding Nemo, the father/child relationships are a huge theme. So I could relate when "Noggin and Dude" were said between two turtles. And that's what we did each night. My dad even texted me my first night of college that simply said "Noggin" and of course I cried. Because even though he hadn't tucked me into bed in years we still have this sense of peace and comfort knowing at the end of the day the other knows they are loved and special. 

Now. Goodnight for my kids looks completely different. And I won't go into detail why or how, I just want to share with you one of my favorite parts at camp - which is bed time. And not because they are finally going to be quiet and asleep! That's almost never the case anyway. After the camp fire the boys and girls split into their respective cabins with their leaders and get ready for bed. I have made it sort of tradition that I go to each cabin, including my own, and give every kid a hug or kiss, or for most of the girls in my cabin, we pray and I tuck them in. Most of the kids are way too old for this, and think I'm silly for doing it since it's not their normal. But now I know why my dad did it every night for so long. I just want them to fall asleep knowing someone loves them. 

It may look like camp fire smoke cuddles, or a race to the boys cabin ending in a dog pile... And I'm on the bottom. Or it looks like giggles and tickle fights followed up with frustrated "girls go to bed" and sometimes it's even being hugged by 15 little boys straight up in just underwear. 


Whatever it looks like. I don't take goodnights with my kids lightly. And I hope one day they can look back at goodnights like I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment