Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Best Family We've Ever Known

There is a verse in Isaiah 61 that says, “They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.”

 I've heard this chapter read out loud for years. I've seen it posted in program brochures, and in Urban Youth workers ministry websites as part of their mission statement and values regarding the investment into urban Youth. This chapter, and this line in particular has been a charge, the call, and road map in how I handle myself in urban Youth work, but also encourages me to know that what I see in my babies, God has already watch play out. It's already been written in the palms of his hands.
And I am blessed with the ability to watch them grow into the very people He had created them to be.

Maseterpieces.
Leaders.
My Brothers and Sisters.

Last night we celebrated at our annual banquet, all of our initiatives under Lexington Leadership Foundation, and the happinings revolving around each. I'm the most thankful for an opportunity to work for a family in Christ, not an organization or non profit. It truly is a family. Encouraging and loving and supporting one another in all aspects.

Last night we reminded 9 of our beautiful young people what Isaiah 61 says about them being oaks of righteousness, how they will wear crowns of beauty, not of ashes. We presented each of them with Emerging Leaders Awards and applauded where they've been, and where they will go, and how nothing will stop them from being a light as long as they or I can help it.

There are a lot of things I could say about them, to them...
But I cried enough last night.
What I will say though, is how incredibly proud I am of my siblings.
And how flipping lucky I am to call them family.

One of my brothers told the guests at our table this is the best family he's ever known. I held back my tears but nodded in agreement saying, me too kid, me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment