Friday, December 15, 2017

A Risk Worth Taking

I walked out of Henry Clay High School for the last time this semester. 


I had the same feeling with Crawford Middle School yesterday.



And Frederick Douglass High School two days before that.


The feeling of any season coming to an end is always tough for my heart to sift through.
Adding up the lessons learned... the hard way, all of the laughter or tears that were had over time.
Even when I think about the absolute worst days, I get a little emotional we made it to this point.
I'm tougher today than I was on August 16th, 2017.
Several schools had no idea, that when I sat in their offices, and told them what I thought could happen if we joined forces, exactly how big of a risk they were actually taking on. 
But they figured out pretty quick I think. 
We all did.
Through growing pains, new schools, referrals, requests, full moons, and lots of e-mails, we made it through 4 months of crazy. 
And at the end of it all, someone a lot more important than me leaned over and said,
"You are a risk worth taking."
 
And that's how I feel about my kids in these schools. 

The kids that came, were there for a reason.
A reason I can't really explain, I just know.
I don't care about numbers much. 
What I do care about, is what we will do now that we know where we are struggling, and how each of us will move forward in order to be the most successful versions of ourselves.
But we needed to get to know each other this semester. 
We needed to gain trust.
Take a couple losses and celebrate a few small victories. 
I think we did that.
Deep breath. 
The real work begins now.

                                                                              -

Much like how these schools took a risk on me, the 2nd fam took a risk with me too.
In some ways it's full circle.
In other ways... it's a fresh start. 



What I do know to be true is, making disciples is the most important thing I could be doing as a Child of God. 
Loving Him and His people. 
Showing them how to live, leading by example. 
And let me tell you what... there were a lot of moments my example was the worst to follow and they knew it.
Other days weren't all that bad, and we found ourselves asking some really good, vulnerable, tough, questions. 


The family grew, much as families do... even though ours has a tendency to want to stay tight knit and approval based only (I am a guilty of this myself) we handled the growth well.
I honestly can't imagine what life would be like if they weren't in it.


Awful I would assume. 
So I am forever thankful. 
For their annoying, dramatic, loud, attitude filled, big hearted, always laughing, keeping me in check, selves. 
And that when I am all of those things listed above... or worse, they still put up with me too.

Soon, a new adventure begins at 422 Codell.
Where we will take the much needed risk of choosing, loving, and living life with some of our favorite little humans.
But for now, today starts a season of planning, evaluating, and hopefully some rest for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment