Monday, December 1, 2014

Aunt C

They tell me I've been an aunt for 17 years now... but I didn't feel like an 'aunt' until last night.
Maybe a cousin, or like a really, really, long lost older sister, to two beautiful girls.

I am the only sister that doesn't look like the rest.
And even the nieces look like my sisters more than I do.
But this week, last night to be exact. I felt like we all belonged together.
We share long, dark hair. Most of us have hints of the Cherokee skin, minus two who came from the Northern part of the country.
Blue Green eyes aren't uncommon.
Our heads are strong, and our voices are heard. Audibly and written.
Majority is tall. Majority laughs till we pee a little... we got that from Mom for sure.
We have learned more from experience and life, than the text books people have handed us.

My baby niece, who is the same age as some of our kiddos, is a giant. She has my body. My once bone straight hair. And my timid, but passionate personality when put in a room full of extroverts. She is curious. And I want to tell you about how she stole a hotel Bible.
I haven't been around long enough to tell her I am proud. Or to hug her after a competition, or watch and cheer her on in anything. But Tuesday night she showed me a Bible she took from a hotel "Only after I asked if it was ok." I was proud. And I still get teary eyed thinking about it. "I wanted to read some of it" she said. And I told her it wasn't stealing at all.
This is a big deal. That is all you need to know.
Little Rose. I am so, so very proud of you.

The oldest niece is a babe. Almost the shortest out of the bunch next in line to Grandma. She believes in love, but the love that is something you work for, and there is still a hint of Disney magic to it also. Her talents are many, and she is nothing short of vocal on what she thinks - her mom and I share that with her too.
Grown before I could be apart of her childhood - she is wise but still finds humor in everything. We have been up late the last couple of nights - until 3am actually.
Missed the first sprain, and all of the braces faze. You have a boyfriend now.
And I will break him if he gets any ideas to do you wrong!
It's hard to claim being an aunt to someone who holds a closer rank in your heart.
Ayla. Bold. Beautiful. Strong. I am so, so very proud of you.

I bought a dress. And it's not a big deal. But now that I know what it feels like to be an aunt, I don't ever want to forget it.

This day is to celebrate thankfulness. And I am thankful that even though I have "been" an aunt for 17 years. Yesterday, I got to claim it. And own it. And fully embrace what that actually looks like in real life. I am thankful for this crazy family. I have  a lot of titles - that's been said before, but I think I like this one the best. I am thankful for this city, my education, my friends, and for these two girls who see me bigger than I could ever see myself.


- Aunt C

No comments:

Post a Comment