Monday, November 28, 2016

the year I will never forget

I woke up with all the air I could fill in in my lungs
only to let it all out with one very long sigh
twenty-one is over today
and I am trying to convince myself to focus on the mountain of homework I have instead of getting emotional like I always do this time of year
it's not working very well 

year twenty-one was one of those years you can't forget
no matter how hard you try
this was the year I mourned the most
and loved the hardest
this was the year I raised my first in the air 
for something bigger than myself
I learned how to use my voice as a 
megaphone
bridge
whisper 

twenty-one had 
baptisms & weddings & deaths
graduations 
lots of coffee  
a major title shift at work that gave me 
my family of high schoolers
being snowed in on a mountain with that family
the honor to help lead a student organization on campus for social unity
basketball & football & volleyball 
games cheering on my kids
celebrating an 18th birthday that will forever be my favorite birthday
breaking ground on the Woodhill community center 
sunshine
city adventures 
our beautiful Bella Sky Rose being born
serve the city meets the EYF fam
moving to the West Coast
making life long friends & family
sand & salt water
graffiti & tacos 
Mexico
life on the street
sunsets & being a momma for a couple weeks 
the boy
unexpected life lessons through suburban kids 
hundreds of hours in urban ministry 
a new home on the east side
see you later's in NYC & NJ
senior year
being a neighbor 
hope fellowship
and of course capstone 

twenty-two will look nothing like twenty-one for a lot of reasons
that's ok
I am thankful for what it was & the work it did on my heart
I left it tired but hopeful

No comments:

Post a Comment