Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Parts

This season is 3 parts
1 part closing of an old season
1 part new season
1 part colliding of the first 2

Parts of it don't fit right
Like an old pair of your favorite shorts you pulled out of the closet in your parents house
Doesn't mean you love them less or they changed
You did
And that's okay
At least I'm trying to tell myself it is

Parts of it make me feel more alive than I ever have
Like a gust of wind just swooshed underneath dusty sails for the first time in years
Like no smile could be large enough

The ebbs and flows have parts of familiarity and foreignness simultaneously
I can tell you this though
When a boy I've known a lot of years asked how long I was going to be here & I said 
"I'm home now, that's all I know" 
I meant it

Not as if other places haven't been home
They have been some of the best homes I've ever known, and I miss them dearly
I love cities, the stories they tell, the adventures they hold
But they aren't home without my people
And right now
I'm home

Sorting out the parts that make sense to me
and the parts that still feel a little rusty

The part that will always make most sense


Our boys
This neighborhood
For such a time as this

No comments:

Post a Comment