Sunday, June 21, 2015

Always a Daddy's Girl

I don't know what to thank you for more, the lessons you taught me growing up, or the patience you had to have waiting for me to actually follow through with said lessons.

I wanted to do everything I could to make you proud. I still do really...

Every tree climbed, every bike ride that didn't end in a crash, all the balls dribbled and shot through a hoop - they all somehow point back to you.

I remember the prayers said every night, and the texts sent in my now twenties, reminding me I am still your little girl. I hope that never stops.

I wish some days I could be more of what you expected, uniform, more disciplined, maybe even someone who has learned how to keep her mouth shut... but then I think that would go against my upbringing. You learned all the Disney quotes, you dressed up, and did hair. You told me to be me and to show the boys what's up when challenged.

I am choosing a path that scares us, let's call it what it is. But I am so blessed that even when it is scary, you have confidence in me and are letting the reigns go.

You encouraged me without even thinking you were, to be someone who could stand on her own two feet, even if they were scraped and bleeding, and one shoe was untied!

I have a protective instinct and a fiery temper, all this from you.

Thanks for being my dad on the good days, and the hard.

No matter what, you will always be the reason I am called a 'daddy's girl'

I love you.

                                                                            -

Another beautiful reason about why we celebrate today is how you chose us to be yours. You didn't have to pick us, you didn't have to pick any of us, but you did. I can't thank you enough for that.

Countless hours spent pouring into us with the word in hand. Almost always full of answers to our endless questions. I knew then, that one day I too would want a basement full of questions from kids I would call my own even though they all went back to their own homes at the end of the night.

You have to deal with more tearful phone calls than anyone else.

You taught me how not to be average, what excellence in the eyes of our Lord should look like, and that I should challenge anyone who thinks I can't do something because I am young. Through my own insecurities and flaws you showed me that I am a masterpiece, and bang 116 day in and day out to remind all your "kids" that we should not be ashamed of the gospel or ourselves.

Somehow you are always right... and I hate that.

Blood may be thicker than water - but we drink sweet tea so that doesn't matter! You push me to be great, and I know I have pushed your buttons more often than not, but hey it's what I do best.

I do believe I get my pride and my leadership from you.

Thanks for leaving foot prints all around for me to step into myself, and really figure out what the future holds for an anomaly like me.

Love ya dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment